When we moved into our home about a year and half ago, the paint on the soffits was peeling- bad. On the sides of the house that received the most sun, it was practically raining paint chips. We also had a green wall in the backyard (see left above). We'll we've finally gotten around to having it painted and I thought I would share my wisdom on painting the exterior of your home.
Painting your home is not just finding the right painting company. To find the right painting company you need to know exactly what your home needs.
First, get a pencil and pad of paper and take a walk around your home. Look at all the exterior walls, trim, windows & doors. Take notes. Some of these questions will need to be answered with further research and inspiration investigation and some of these questions will need to be asked when you interview painting companies.
1. What doors need to be painted? What color will the door be? Same as the house, trim or different color altogether? What doors will not be painted?
2. What trim/ fascia are you painting? What color will it be?
3. Are there "bump-outs" or other architectural details you want to call out (different color) or hide (paint the body color)?
4. Are there wires/cables on the outside of your home that could be relocated? For example I removed all cable wires and conduit that had been installed on the exterior of our block home.
5. Do bushes/shrubs/vines/trees need to be trimmed back for better access to the walls?
6. Are there exterior walls/fences on your property will they need to be painted? What color?
7. Take down any wall hangings or decorations on your walls. This may include flagpoles, clocks, house numbers
8. Is there furniture that will need to be moved?
9. Will light fixtures/fans be removed or just taped and covered?
10. Do you have patio ceilings? How will they be treated? What color paint- body, trim, different color?
11. Are there repairs to the house that need to be made prior to painting? Will the painting company perform these repairs?
12. Pull any nails, screws, or other unwanted things on your house and walls. We removed many nails and hooks from our hanging Christmas lights.
13. Is there a warranty on the painting company's work?
14. Do they pull the dirt around the base to paint below the grade?
Part 2 will include some after photos of my house with the colors we chose!